Hockey Assistant Coach
The vision of Briercrest College and Seminary is to educate disciples, equip the church, and engage our world. We cherish, embrace, and live by Biblical virtues where Christian character matters and have identified the following behaviors as significant, organizational culture- shaping practices given our present internal ethos and external realties. We are boldly Christian, purposefully developing leaders, conscientiously serving, intentionally collaborating, and continuously innovating. The corresponding core values of Briercrest Athletics are being kingdom focused, servant hearted, a forever learner, a competitor, and disciplined.
The Core Focus of Briercrest Athletics includes our Passion - transforming lives towards their God-intended purpose, and our Niche - using the pursuit of athletic championships in our unique Briercrest training ground to grow disciples of Jesus, form leaders of character, inspire graduates and develop skills for sport and life.
The Hockey Assistant Coach will have a desire to grow in and live out our Core Values, while providing leadership to student- athletes to empower them to do the same. They will plan and execute strategies and methods, in collaboration with the rest of the Briercrest Athletic Department, to carry out our Core Focus within the Hockey Program. This is a full-time position, with a yearly rhythm requiring a much higher time commitment during the season (August – April) and a lower time commitment April - July.
- Agreement to live within the Briercrest Institutional Covenant and align with the mission, vision, and values of Briercrest College and Seminary
- Committed to continual growth in our Core Values and carrying out our Core Focus
- An appreciation of post- secondary education and the academic demands on our student-athletes
- Junior/College/University /Pro level hockey coaching experience or relevant playing experience is required
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred
- Completed/completing appropriate NCCP certifications and any required coach education or training for being an Assistant Hockey Coach in the ACAC
- Able to utilize technology effectively, including stats programs, video analysis & social media
- Possesses, or can readily learn the administrative, technical, and financial skills needed for success in the role
DESIRED OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborative & productive teamwork. They will positively contribute to Briercrest Athletics through planning and decisions that align and reflect our Core Values, with actions that intentionally carry out our Core Focus. They will be a collaborative and productive team member who manages internal and external relationships well, executing and growing in these value competencies and commitments
- Assist with development & retention of current student-athletes, by intentionally developing them in all areas of our Core Focus. It also includes relationship-building with student-athletes so they feel cared for, and evaluating how they are growing in our core values and reaching more of their potential
- Assist with recruitment of new student-athletes, promoting Briercrest Athletics (Core Values & Core Focus) and individual team experience to attract the right recruits, developing/growing a recruiting pool that leads to signing student-athletes and awarding athletic scholarships
- Assist with performance management through macro and micro season planning, along with effective daily planning and implementation of training, teaching, and coaching to empower athletes towards top performance in areas such as: nutrition, strength and conditioning, skill development (technical, tactical, physical, mental, emotional), systems implementation and development, and rest and recovery. It also includes assisting with regular measurement through team and individual scorecards to track progress of team and individual performance, along with assessment of coaching, training, and teaching methods
- Assist with creation & implementation of effective game strategies, which includes knowing the team's strengths and weaknesses, diligent homework and scouting on upcoming opponents, assisting with in-game adjustments based on statistical data and observations, and empowering players through training to make the best decisions in the flow of the game
- Assist with development & management the budget. A key aspect of this role is growing the team budget through fundraising, donations, sponsorships, and adding external programming (camps, skill training, etc.)
- Engaging Hockey Program Alumni, by assisting the head coach with the development/growth of the alumni committee, empowering the committee to foster relationships with one another and grow mutual engagement
- Direct & execute the Men’s Hockey external programs and any department-approved external programs at they are developed i.e., camps, individual/small group training, etc.
- Personal & Professional Development through education, personal habits & key activities to grow as a disciple of Jesus, a transformational leader, as a professional coach, and as healthy individual
- This position will report to the Hockey Head Coach.
- This position will assist with supervising the support staff for the Hockey Program
- This position will work with the Athletic Department staff
Applicants should submit a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents by email to the Human Resources office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All employees of Briercrest College and Seminary are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application