Women's Residence Director
The priority of Student Development is to facilitate the spiritual, academic, co-curricular and relational development and success of students who are living in residence while studying at Briercrest. We aim to provide residence students with a safe, secure, and supportive home base from which to conduct their endeavors during their time on campus. We desire that each student in our care realizes all that God had in mind for them when He directed them to this school, whether that is of an academic nature, or otherwise.
The Women’s Residence Director (RD) is responsible for the quality of life experienced by the college residential students living under their care. The priority is to provide leadership and direction, discipleship and when necessary, corrective action within the specifically assigned residence(s).
Note: This is a 40 hour/week, 9.5-month term position from (Aug 2023-May 2024)
- Agreement to live within the Briercrest Institutional Covenant and align with the mission, vision, and values of Briercrest College and Seminary
- B.A. or equivalent strongly preferred
- Previous relevant experience is beneficial
- Applicants must have a heart for God and a love and understanding of young people
- Heart/Passion: The successful candidate will have a heart for the importance of Student Development work and a firm conviction of the importance and role of the residence life experience in educating, equipping, and facilitating student’s growth and maturity.
- Capacity to work with a high degree of autonomy, and possessing good administrative, interpersonal, communication, and management ability.
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
- Ability to train and motivate youth.
DESIRED OUTCOMES AND ACTIVITIES
- Discipleship: Mentoring and leading both the team of student leaders and students within their residence(s). Promote the integration of biblical principles in everyday life.
- Facilitate regularly scheduled 1-1 meetings with student leaders (Resident Assistants) under your oversight. (i.e., weekly, or bi-weekly) Counsel and Care: Offering prayer support and counsel in challenging situations. Refer when necessary. Departmental Communication (to students): Acting as a liaison, ensuring clear and open communication between school, Student Development, and students as necessary.
- Training: Assist in Student Leadership training as needed or requested.
- Oversight: Provide accountability and situational advice to students and leaders under your oversight.
- Relationships: Intentionally connect with all students and student leaders within your residence(s) each semester.
- Accountability and Discipline: Model integrity and provide accountability to the Residence Life Code. Provide intervention and discipline as necessary and coordinate with Senior Director (SD) and/or the Dean of Students on more serious issues.
- Environment: Develop and nurture a positive overall residential atmosphere that is safe and secure and encourages healthy spiritual, academic, and social development.
- Upkeep: Conduct regular cleanliness inspections of dorm rooms and common areas.
- Events: Support or facilitate dorm events in collaboration with Resident Advisors.
- Crisis: Typically, be the first responder to student needs and crisis as they arise. Refer when necessary. (e.g., Counselling Centre, Academic Success, Health Care Worker, etc.)
- Direct supervision for all RAs (college-aged student leaders) within the residence(s) under their care.
- Support the leadership and oversight of Student Development.
- Review enrollment file for each new incoming student and initiate contact with new students as soon as possible. (*typically, during the month of August)
- Accurate reporting and record-keeping of student issues and concerns. Done with SD and when necessary, the Dean of Students.
- Help with residence(s) preparation for school opening (August) and closing (April).
- Communicate residence(s) needs and upkeep to College Senior Director and Dean of Students.
- Participate in the Spring Clean-Up of residence(s) in cooperation with Campus Operations.
- Attend weekly Student Development Check-In meetings.
- Invest in building positive and cooperative working relationships with other Student Development team members.
- Attend bi-weekly one on one with the Dean of Students.
- This posiiton reports directly to the Dean of Students.
To apply, please email a cover letter, résumé/CV, names of three references and any specified documents to the Human Resources Department (email@example.com).
All Briercrest College and Seminary employees are required to sign and adhere to our Institutional Covenant. Please review the covenant prior to submitting your application.